- I'm an Enterprise user and want to know what Unity source code is.
- I've purchased an Enterprise subscription and want access to the Unity source code.
- What are the main benefits I can get from Unity source code?
- What's the difference between read-only and full-access source code?
The Unity source code (USC) is the C# source of everything that goes into Unity Engine and Unity Editor-managed assemblies.
USC is the human-readable source code for the Unity real-time 3D development platform, not only the C# layer but the source files that allow you to change the Editor and compile a new version. It enables you to dive deeper into your code and understand what is happening at the code level of your game.
How does the source code differ from the existing public C# reference published online?
The current C# reference source code is a read-only version that only includes the C# layer of the Unity Editor for understanding or improving your projects.
Unity source code can be either Read-only or Full-access:
- Read-only source code gives a fuller debugging experience by enabling you to understand Unity's source code better.
- Full-access source code allows you to create your builds of the Unity real-time development platform for use in production. It is available to purchase at an additional cost.
Who is USC for?
Unity source code is for you if you want to:
- Debug your projects and create custom builds for your needs.
- Access non-documented APIs for your projects.
- Contribute to the code by sharing fixes and improvements.
- Fully own the code.
Benefits for Unity Enterprise users:
- Understanding the code
Get access to how Unity's technology runs, from the creative editing experience to the low-level engine layers that power your experiences.
- Empowerment to find your answers
Exposing the inner workings of Unity's technology provides answers for creators to help optimize and work around issues without relying on support or the community for help.
- Discover new ways of solving problems
Debugging and walking through the code step-by-step will help you find answers to how things work and the flow of code, exposing you to new ways of experiencing development.
Please contact your account manager or Unity sales if you have more questions about Unity source code.