- I would like to activate on a new machine, but have run out of activations.
- I have used the available activations on my Pro/ Plus/ Enterprise license.
- I would like to return my old activations.
Each Unity Pro, Plus or Enterprise license has a set amount of activations. If you wish to activate on a new machine and have already used your allowed activations, you can return the activations to free up the license.
There are different solutions, depending on your situation.
If you do not have access to the machine:
If you no longer have access to the machine that your license was activated on, you can return activations made in Unity 4.5 and higher via your account page. To do this, visit your ID seats page here for licenses purchased before 28th June 2016, otherwise follow the below steps:
- Sign in at id.unity.com.
- Go to the "My Seats" tab.
- Under the "Activation" box, you will see how many activations you have used and which machines they are currently assigned to.
- Select the checkbox next to any activations you would like to remove, then select 'Remove selected activations'. Alternatively, if you would like to remove all your activations on the serial, select 'Remove all my activations'
- The license is now free to be used on different machines.
If you have access to the machine:
If you have access to the machine that the activation is on, users activated in versions higher than Unity 4.5 can return their licenses within the Editor:
- Open Unity.
- Click “Unity” (or Windows user click “Help”).
- Click "Manage License...".
- Click "Return License".
This must be done prior to reformatting or a hardware change.
You must also have an uninterrupted connection to the license server. This does not tend to be the case when behind a proxy, or if you are without an Internet connection.
3.x license holders:
If you are a 3.x license owner, you will need to contact Customer Service directly and provide your serial number.
Each standard (Pro, Plus and Enterprise) Unity license allows a single person to use Unity on two machines that they have exclusive use of.
Each educational Unity license allows a single person to use Unity on one machine that they have exclusive use of.
To manage or reassign seats of a license on our website, please see the article 'How Can I Revoke A Seat In My Organization?'.