Starting March 2019, Asset Store Publishers receive automated payouts for their Asset Store Publisher earnings monthly (PayPal payment method) or quarterly (Bank Transfer payment method). This is a step-by-step guide for configuring automated payouts for your Organization. To get started, log in to the Unity ID portal.
Note: The Unity Asset Store currently only supports payouts in USD.
In order to receive payment, you must configure a payout profile. Payout profiles are associated with Organizations.
Note: You must be the Organization’s Owner to see, create or update its payout profile. For more information on Organizations and roles, see the Members and Groups section of the Managing your Organization documentation.
To navigate to the desired Organization’s payout profile:
- Go to the Publisher Portal, select the Payout tab, then click the link. The Unity ID page appears.
- Select Payout Profile on the left navigation bar’s sub-menu.
Creating a payout profile
On your Organization’s Payout Profile page, create a new profile by clicking + Add profile.
SMS Two-Factor Authentication (TFA)
In order to edit a payout profile, you must enable SMS-based TFA. If you have yet to enable it for your Organization, the dashboard will prompt you to do so.
If you have already set up SMS TFA authentication, proceed with payout profile creation below.
- Click Activate TFA > Start setup to begin.
- Confirm your Unity Developer Network (UDN) password, then click Next.
- Enter a valid phone number that can receive SMS messages, then click Next. A 6-digit code will be sent via SMS to the specified phone number.
- Enter the code on the dashboard within 60 seconds to initialize your TFA.
Once you complete this step, return to the Payout Profile section of the dashboard (Organizations > select your Organization > Payout Profile), then select + Add profile. Complete the TFA check to proceed.
Populating profile information
On the Create Payout Profile page, enter the following required information:
- Country and Region
- Payment recipient (Company or Private individual). Note that you cannot change this after you create the profile!
IMPORTANT: If you are based in Denmark, you must select Company and enter your VAT or Business ID number.
- (Companies only) Company Name
- (Companies only) EU VAT (European Union Value Added Tax ID. This field is optional, however EU VAT-registered companies must provide an ID.
- (Companies only) Contact Person and their corresponding Email address
- (Individuals only) Full Name and your corresponding Email address
- Postal Code
Click Create to generate your profile.
Your profile information is now saved. You can edit it anytime by clicking the Edit (pencil icon) button.
Adding a payout method
Unity supports PayPal and bank transfers. To add a payout method, navigate to the Payout Method section of the Payout Profile page, then click the Edit or + Add payout method button.
On the Add Payout Method page, select an option from the Payout Method drop-down menu.
- Select Bank transfer to set up direct deposits into a specified account (see section on Bank transfers below).
- Select PayPal to receive payments directly to your PayPal account (see section on PayPal below).
You must provide banking details for the account you want to receive payments. Select Bank transfer from the drop-down, then click the Add bank transfer details button.
You will temporarily leave the dashboard to process banking information through our secure partner Worldpay.
The country of your bank dictates the type of transfer (local or international) and type of information Worldpay requests.
Once you have completed the Worldpay form, you will return to the Add Payout Method page.
Note: For bank transfers, the intermediate or the receiving bank might apply charges. If you want to receive the payment in any currency other than USD, there will be conversion fees. The minimum amount for bank transfers is 250 USD.
To set up PayPal deposits, all you need to provide is the minimum payout amount (see section below) and your registered PayPal email address.
Finalizing your settings
When you have finished specifying your payment method and minimum amount, click the Create button to save your selections.
Unity must collect your relevant tax information in order to withhold taxes when applicable, as required by some tax authorities. To validate your tax information, navigate to the Payout Tax info section of the Payout Profile page, then click the Create button.
You will temporarily leave the dashboard to complete your Payout Tax Info by providing the following information:
- Basic information about yourself
- Consent to receive information reporting documentation
- Your overall tax status
- Your electronic signature and consent to use it
When finished, click Exit Payout Tax Info to return to the Payout Profile page. The Payout Tax Info section takes a few minutes to update. When it does, the Tax status changes to Validated.
If you have more questions about Tax form, please read here.
Requesting payment as an individual
Unity can process payment to you as an individual, rather than as a company (except in Denmark, where Unity can only process payments if you are set up as a company). To register as a private individual, simply enter your legal name in lieu of a company name. Please be sure that this name also matches an owner of your Unity organization.
In general, no taxes are deducted from payments to companies or similar entities. However, if you are a private individual, payments are governed by tax agreements between your country and Denmark. These agreements exist to reduce any possible double taxation and set guidelines for personal taxation rules. Consult your own tax office for further guidance.
Unity will not deduct taxes from your payment. Handling taxes for your revenue is your responsibility.
Value Added Tax (VAT) numbers
The European Union (EU) requires members to have a VAT number. The local legislation in each country specifies when you need to apply for a VAT number. If you do not have one, select “No VAT” or “None” in the corresponding invoice field.
You can view records of your Unity Asset Store payouts at any time:
- Log in to the Unity ID portal.
- Select Organizations from the left navigation bar.
- Select the desired Organization from the list.
- Select Transaction History from the left navigation bar sub-menu.
- Select the Payouts tab.
- Select the date range you wish to query, then click the Apply button to view a list of self-bills.
Making changes to your profile, payout method or tax info
You can edit your information at any time on the Payout Profile page:
- In the Payout Profile section, click the Edit button (note that you cannot change the recipient type).
- In the Payout Method section, click the Edit button.
- In the Payout Tax Info section, click the Update button.
Note: Your changes might not affect payouts for the current month. If you need the changes to take effect immediately, or have general issues signing up for automated payouts, please contact Unity support.