- I want to increase post-play engagement
- I want to re-engage players
- I want to use push to bring players back into my game
- I want to improve my app retention
You’re looking for ways to improve your app’s player/user engagement, re-engage lapsed users, or improve overall retention (eg. 14-day or 30-day user retention).
Push notifications, in-app messages, and emails are critical channels to drive app engagement and retention, which are certainly some of the top use cases for OneSignal users. Our customers overwhelmingly report that push notifications themselves have an ROI that is better than or equal to other channels (as good or better than email and paid ads).
Engagement can mean a lot of things, but for game developers it likely means getting users into your game, keeping them playing longer, and bringing them back more frequently. Push notifications and email messaging are critical (but often underutilized) tools for game developers to easily nudge players back into your game via targeted, personalized, and timely messages to their users based on their activity (or inactivity) and their unique customer journey.
Once users are back in your game or app, keep them there longer through unobtrusive but engaging in-app messages that help onboard players, encourage competition, share updates and promote features, showcase awards and recognition, offer tips or discounts, and more.
Retention is one of the most important metrics for evaluating an app’s success and long term profitability. Although high acquisition rates and low CPAs are worthy of celebration, if you can’t keep users engaged long enough to recoup your acquisition costs, it will be difficult to grow your business. We’ve outlined quick and reliable methods to boost app retention through things like improved onboarding flows, increased user recognition and incentivization via in-app messages and push notifications. Additionally, our CEO has mapped messaging best practice and tips for game studios to better engage and retain players.
For more information and strategies around engagement and retention through push notifications, please check out our extensive best practices content, detailed documentation, or these highlighted articles:
- Easy Strategies to Increase App Retention
- Boost Retention with In-App Messaging
- How Push Notifications Drive Revenue and Customer Loyalty
- Increase Daily Active Users by 27% Using Push Notifications; Better ROI Than Email
- Everything Game Developers Need to Know about Push Notifications and Customer Messaging (written by our CEO, George Deglin)
- Boost Engagement With Rich Media
- Hear Shopify + Agency MuteSix Discuss eComm. User Acquisition & Retention
- 6 Unobtrusive Ways to use in-app Messaging in Mobile Games
- Boost Push Notification Engagement with OneSignal's Segmentation Tool
- How-to Guide: Get Started with messaging for gaming
- Mastering Customer Communication in Mobile Games
Everything Game Developers Need to Know about Push Notifications and Customer Messaging (written by our CEO, George Deglin)