- I want to customize/personalize my messages
- I want to include a player’s name, level, or other data in a message
- I want to increase my message engagement rates
- I want to send targeted messages
You want to send personalized or customized messages to your subscribers or message just a sub-segment of your subscribers.
Personalizing messages is key to any successful messaging strategy and can quadruple your open rates. When messages are relevant, users naturally pay more attention to them, whereas when notifications are generic, users ignore them, and they may even be annoyed enough to opt-out of push notifications from your app altogether.
The key is sending content your users want to see based on actions they've taken - what content they've viewed and when they viewed it. Our personalization tools make it easy to auto-target users based on the content they view, notification topic, what originally led them to subscribe, where they are in your user journey, and virtually anything else you know about your user. Data Tags and Segments are key to this personalization.
What are Data Tags?
Data Tags are composed of two things: a key and a value. The key allows you to name the tag, the value is what the tag equals. They can be customized allowing you to track what your users do on the device level, from making a purchase, to beating their high score in a game or posting new content to followers. Using tags also makes it easy to send personalized messages to a large audience without doing a lot of heavy lifting. For instance, you can use data tags to address a user by name, mention a past purchase, or congratulate them on reaching a new level in a game — the possibilities are endless!
What are Segments?
Segments give you the ability to group and target devices with more personalized and engaging messages. You can divide your subscriber base into specific audiences based on multiple Filter Types of data like activity, country, language, Data Tags, etc. OneSignal automatically groups your users into four Segments, but you can add and customize additional Segments:
- Subscribed Users: All users in your app that are subscribed to receive notifications.
- Active Users: Users that have logged in to your app/site recently.
- Engaged Users: Users that have logged in to your app/site frequently.
- Inactive Users: Users that have not logged in to your app/site for a long time.
Segments are updated automatically once created. As users interact with your app or website, devices may be added-to or removed-from segments without any additional setup or tracking on your end.
There are generally 2 ways to personalize messages:
- Using OneSignal's Data Tags for Tag Substitution within the email and notification Title, Message, Launch URL, and image.
- Tracking the User ID through your CRM or Database and targeting the device directly with custom messages. See our Internal Database, DMP, & CRM for more on how to set this up.
For complete instructions on how to personalize your messages, refer to our Message Personalization Guide.