- I would like to activate on a new machine, but have run out of activations.
- I have used the available activations on my Pro/ Plus/ Enterprise license.
- I would like to return my old activations.
Each Unity Plus, Pro or Enterprise license has a set amount of activations. If you wish to activate on a new machine and have already used your allowed activations, you can return the activations to free up the license.
There are different solutions, depending on your situation.
If you have access to the machine:
If you have access to the machine that the activation is on, users activated in versions higher than Unity 4.5 can return their licenses within the Hub:
- Launch the Unity Hub.
- Click the settings button (cog icon) in the top right corner.
- Click License Management to the left of the screen.
- Click RETURN LICENSE.
This must be done prior to reformatting or a hardware change.
If you do not have access to the machine:
If you no longer have access to the machine that your license was activated on, or the above steps do not work, you can return activations made in Unity 4.5 and higher via your account page.
- Sign in at Unity ID
- Click My Seats to the left side of the page.
- Under the Activation window, you will see how many activations you have used and which machines they are currently assigned to.
- Click the checkbox next to any activations you would like to remove, then click Remove selected activations. Alternatively, if you would like to remove all your activations on the serial, click Remove all my activations.
- The license is now free to be used on different machines.
You must also have an uninterrupted connection to the license server. This does not tend to be the case when behind a proxy, or if you are without an internet connection.
For licenses that are manually activated, please contact Customer Service to remove these from your license key.
Each standard (Plus, Pro and Enterprise) Unity license allows a single person to use Unity on two machines that they have exclusive use of.
Each Educational Unity license allows a single person to use Unity on one machine that they have exclusive use of. To manage or reassign seats of a license on our website, please see the article 'How Can I Revoke A Seat In My Organization?'.