- I would like to add Two-Factor Authentication to my Unity account.
- How can I improve the security of my Unity account?
Unity has taken steps to improve the security of our user’s accounts by implementing Two-Factor Authentication.
Two-Factor Authentication offers an additional layer of security against unauthorised account access. It does this by using your mobile phone or your preferred authenticator app to log into your account.
- Sign in to your Unity ID,
- Click Security to the left of the screen.
- In the Account Security window, click Activate (+ button) to the right of Two-Factor Authentication.
- Click the green Start setup button.
- Enter your Unity ID password again (if prompted).
- Select which method of Two-Factor Authentication you want to activate. You can select either Phone number or Authenticator App.
- Click Next.
If you've chosen Phone number:
- Select the country flag of where your phone number resides from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your phone number into the field without any spaces.
- Click Next to proceed.
- A code will then be sent to your phone number selected via SMS.
- Enter the code sent to you via SMS and click Verify.
Note: Each code generated will only be valid for five minutes before it expires. If you miss this five minute deadline, the code will expire and you will have to start the process again.
If you've chosen Authenticator App:
- Open your chosen authenticator app and scan the QR code shown on screen.
- Enter the code generated on your device into the text field.
- Click on the highlighted Verify button.
It’s recommended that you create recovery codes once you have enabled the Two-Factor Authentication security feature. In the event that you need to gain access to your Unity account when you are not able to receive your codes, for example if your device has limited signal or you no longer have access to your device, you will still be able to access your account.
To generate your recovery codes:
- On Your Two Factor Authentication page, click Recovery Codes (eye icon) to the right of your preferred authentication method.
- This screen shows a series of five pre-generated codes displayed. From here, you can either Download these codes into a text file or Copy the codes to your device's clipboard, to be pasted and saved in another location on your machine.
There is also an option to Generate new codes, if you have used your five recovery codes, or are worried that your codes have been compromised. Please note that generating new codes will expire the previously generated ones.